Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 12:24:31 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Michael Knoll <knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Harddrive powerdowns

> I have an IDE harddrive in a FreeBSD machine, and would like to enable
> power down for it.  In the BIOS I can set the time, and it will power down
> when in BSD, but, when I use the HD, causing the HD to spin up, I get one
> or two interrupt time outs on the wd0 device.

That's normal.

> Is this safe?  Will these timeouts ever cause corruption?

Only if the drive takes longer to spin up than the FreeBSD driver is
willing to wait.  In your case, it looks like it'll be OK.

> Can FreeBSD it's
> power down the HD, and recognize the HD is down, and wait longer for
> spinning up?  What is the best solution to get my HD to spin down?

The approach you're using now looks like it works.  FreeBSD doesn't
support any of the 'power-saving' drive features, being more concerned
with performance.

mike