Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:31:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mark tinguely <tinguely@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu>
To:        c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr, rh@matriplex.com
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Service Classes

>  Yes :-)  The IDT 77211 works on cell "slots" in a transmit schedule table.

the IDT 77211 does CBR the best, the VBR and ABR was lacking. The next
generation IDT SAR (Prosum) chipset finally did things correctly.

>  > has anyone tried to make a ATM switch/router with FreeBSD ?

   RH says:
>  A switch would be quite a project, if cell spacing and latency is to
>  be preserved.  Hardware support is probably needed for that.

I agree, you need to go to the cell level to honor the QOS agreements
plus implement the signalling. A dedicated machine with a couple ATM
cards and software switching software would be an ambitious project
but would be good for people that wanted a non-production test/reseach
environment. companies like Cisco and Lucent had to start somewhere ...

--mark tinguely.