Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 2003 22:33:52 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        Oliver Lehmann <lehmann@ans-netz.de>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Floppy drive not found by RELENG_5_1

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:23:07PM +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Hi Wilko,
>
> Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > At least on the EV6/Tsunami based machines floppies are broken since a
> > long time
>
> Hm... Ok - EV56 here.. Maybe I should manage to find my old backups
> made with the 4 system. Back to 2001 I remember that I was able to boot
> from floppy (I was playing around with a non-bootable scsi controller and
> booting from flopy+changing rootdev then) on an other AlphaPC 164LX.

Booting floopy and changin rootdev doesn't require floppy support in
kernel.
But it's still interesting - I have no floppy either :(
I thought the tsunami issue was non working floppy and not non
existing?
>From my (x86) notebook, which has a removeable floppy I know that hints
are not enough for detecting drives - maybe SRM handling for this is
broken in -current.

ticso@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de