Date:      Sun, 20 May 2001 13:54:50 +0200
From:      "Alex Wang" <ahtwang@runbox.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with XFree86 4.0.3

Hi All

I'm using FreeBSD 4.3-release, installation from CD.

(All the following are done as root.)

When I installed XFree86-4 from /stand/sysinstall,
I find that both "X" and "startx" actually run my
previous (working) XFree86 3.3.6.

When I try XFree86, it firstly said "No screen found".
So I put in `Device "nv"' in XF86Config for my Riva128
card. It then started alright.

But then I'm stuck at the grey screen with the cross
mouse cursor, and no window manager loads.
I have both .xession and .xinitrc containing only
the line `exec startkde' which worked in 3.3.6.

The server output is quite long, showing (what looks
to me like) a lot of repetitions. I've attached the log.

Could someone please tell me what may be the problem?

Thanks very much.
Alex Wang