Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:41:18 +0100
From:      "Kai Kaminski" <kok@wtal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network performance

Hi,

I am having some serious problems with TCP/IP performance on
my freebsd box. My system (see below) is connected to the internet
via a 10mbit line, shared by a few dozen people.
Using plain Internet Explorer with win98 I get download speeds
between 10k/s and 50k/s. With getright/gozilla/... I see d/l speeds
up to 350k/s.
On my freebsd box, 30k/s seems to be the maximum. Normally d/l speeds
won't go beyond 10k/s, using lynx or ftp. With fetch (cvsup) the
situation is even worse. In this case 5k/s is the maximum.
Yesterday, for example, I issued the following command:

~# cvsup -L 2 -g /usr/share/examples/cvsup-supfile

It isn't finished yet, more than eighteen hours later.
There is nearly no load on this box, just me, reading my mails in
mutt, and my news with slrn.

My box is a Fujitsu-Siemens PIII-866, 128MB, 40GB, 10Mbit Realtek.
It is running 4.2-stable.

Do you have any idea, what could cause this problem?

Bye,
Kai Kaminski