Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 1996 13:38:48 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User ppp not hanging up modem.

At 10:51 AM 12/21/96 -0700, Nate Williams wrote:
>That's *NOT* the correct thing.  What happens when for some reason
>PPP happens to send the sequence '+++' to the modem?  All of a sudden
>it'll drop into command mode and you're screwed.  User-PPP (as well as
>all other PPP/SLIP implementations I've worked with) assumes that you've
>disabled the escape sequence at least temporarily.

Eh?  This is not a problem.  The HAYES protocol (which is the main protocol
for most modems since at least the mid-80s) requires a pause between the
+'es.  The length of this pause is usually (always?) user-settable, with a
default of about .2 seconds (?).  A +++ stream as data will not drop the
modem to command mode.

I'm also having problems with my modem not ALWAYS dropping the connection
on a PPP exit (userland PPP on FreeBSD 2.1.0 and 2.1.6), and would consider
it a Good Thing if the PPP program sent +\w+\w+\w\wATH0\cr on a close/exit.
 This modem respect DTR, but it seems that PPP doesn't always clear that line.

Eivind Eklund / perhaps@yes.no / http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/