Date:      03 Jul 2002 19:24:25 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Adrian Penisoara <ady@freebsd.ady.ro>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __FBSDID breaks buildworld upgrading

Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu> writes:
> We talk about providing support for older releases of FreeBSD, but
> here we are moving to a world where EVERY SINGLE SOURCE FILE in
> the systsem will need some kind of futzing around with to compile
> it on systems which are just 9 months old (as it looks like __FBSDID
> was MFC'ed into -stable on Sept 28, 2001).

Actually, no.  I've backed out my commit and made a different commit
to bsd.sys.mk that solves this in a generic way.

> I really do not mean this as an insult to anyone, but I think we
> are so fascinated with the few real advantages of __FBSDID (such
> as getting the RCS-ids into a separate ELF section) that we are
> sinking far too much effort into trying to make it work.  Are
> the benefits really worth all that effort?

Yes.  Amongst other things, it allows people to easily determine what
sources a particular binary or library was built from, which again
allows admins to make much more informed decisions about potential
security vulnerabilities in their systems.  It also helps debug
problems reported by inexperienced users.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org