Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:59:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP based sync mechanisms

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Ken Smith wrote:

> handle the file permissions properly.  That would mean the files
> that get created on the local system have the same permissions as
> the upstream site, and when the permissions get changed on the
> upstream site they get changed on the local system without triggering
> a new file download.

any such program should also have the ability to 'use local permissions
and ignore remote ones' such as rsync called with -rltvH rather than
-avH.

sometimes the remote site (master) has 'strange' permissions (e.g the
execute bit set) where i'd prefer simple umask settings (0644 result)
to default instead.

well, that's my wishlist anyway.  oh and does omi have the ability
to do hard linking at this point or is that something that isn't
likely to happen with ftp based sync programs ?

regards,

-jason