Date:      Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:12:31 +0100
From:      dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
To:        fbsdq <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: webcam usb device

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:20:21 +0100
dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st> wrote:

> I have a Logiteck QuickCam Chat webcam (USB-2)
> The device is detected alright. But I cannot get it to work.
> Kopete (KDE)  i.e. does not see the device.
>
> I have two questions:
> (a) do I need to load some kind of *.ko file (like for the soundcards)
> to use a webcam under freebsd-6R?
> (b) what program is useful in testing this (web) usb-camera?
> Hope to get some advice.

Nobody reacted. So either I'm stupid and just should know how these
things work in FreeBSD, or people didn't have time yet to respond.

I googled a lot on "webcam and freebsd" but could not find something
relevant. I did read somewhre that on linux one has to create
a /dev/video* which on my fbsd-6R does not exist. I trust devfs should
have made one if needed..

I still at a loss on how to use my webcam on freebsd. It shouldn't be
too hard I'm told. Well, whatever.. It is in dmesg, but further than
that it can not be used. Who has some pointers?

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 6.0 ++ The Power to Serve