Date:      Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:13:08 -0400
From:      "Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas@michaelwlucas.com>
To:        Anton Sayetsky <vsjcfm@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: geli keyfile not loading at boot

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 06:10:51PM +0300, Anton Sayetsky wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a default FreeBSD 10.0/amd64 install.
> >
> > I'm trying to make a GELI device attach at boot. I initialized the
> > partition with -b, and am prompted at boot. When I try to enter the
> > passphrase, I keep getting told that it's incorrect. Once I get into
> > multi-user mode and manually attach the device, it attaches just fine.
> >
> > It seems that GELI isn't finding my key file.
> >
> > My initial root partition is da0p2. The key is /boot/da1p1.key. The
> > GELI partition is da1p1. Here's my loader.conf:
> >
> > geom_eli_load=YES
> > geli_da1p1_keyfile0_load="YES"
>
> ->>>
> > geli_da1p1_keyfile0_type="da0p2:geli_da1p1_keyfile0"
> -<<<
> This is wrong.

Thanks, Anton. This stuff is poorly documented.

>From looking at
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-geom/2014-June/005944.html,
it looks like this should work, but it doesn't.

geli_da1p1key_keyfile0_load="YES"
geli_da1p1key_keyfile0_type="da0p2:geli_keyfile0"
geli_da1p1key_keyfile0_name="/boot/da1p1.key"
boot_verbose=1

Any suggestions, folks? Is there a good explanation out there
anywhere? All I've found are PRs and very specific mailing list posts
aimed at specific situations. If I can figure out the general case,
I'll get it in the man page.

Thanks,
==ml

--