Date:      Sat, 13 Oct 2001 01:11:35 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use of the UNIX Trademark

Terry Lambert said on Oct 12, 2001 at 11:35:04:

> > > Actually, we have a vaccine.
> >
> > References?
> > Certainly, there isn't one in general use.
>
> My father took it before his trip to the Amazon with the
> University of Pennsylvania alumni association.  It made
> him sick as a dog for a good two weeks.
>
> It's generally available from any doctor in the U.S., if
> you have a reason to get it.

I kind of doubt it.  As David Scheidt wrote in another mail, it's a
topic of active research.  There are some preliminary vaccines in the
trial process, but given what you yourself wrote about the long-drawn
testing process in the US, I doubt your father would have been given
those unless he was part of these trial groups.  Certainly, it's not
"generally available."

> You can also get immunized for Hepatitus A & B, there is
> an experimental vaccine for C, and you can get one for
> tuberculosis, smallpox, anthrax, and a number of others,

Sure.  Smallpox is eradicated, or so everyone hopes, and vaccines for
others are well known but not recommended except for risk groups;
also, the common vaccine for tuberculosis (BCG) doesn't always work --
some say it hardly ever works.  But we were talking of malaria.