Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 12:06:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: more ppp problems

Looks like the ISP is sending keepalive packets from his end and I have
requested that this is disabled.  If I connected to another ISP the idle
timeout works fine.  The problem with the idle timeout for me at the
moment is that iij-ppp on my side detects the inactivity locally and
brings down the local side of the link (effectively stopping
communication with the rest of the world) but doesn't hang up the modem.
This means that the modem has to be manually disconnected before the auto
dialup works again.  Is it possible to force the modem to disconnect
after local inactivity when in auto mode ?