Date:      Sat, 28 Dec 96 00:37:36 Romance Standard Time
From:      Guido Kollerie  <gkoller@pi.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Buslogic driver && SCSI id's > 7

Hi,

Last week I was installing FreeBSD 2.1.5 on a system with a
Buslogic BT-958 UW-SCSI adapter. As this is a wide adapater it
supports SCSI id's from 0 to 15. This is a list with the SCSI
id's in use:

2: Pioneer DR-U10X SCSI-2 CDROM drive
7: BT-958
15: Fast-Wide SCSI-2 2,1 GB Fujitsu M2952QUA harddrive

When I tried to boot, it recognized the adapter as a BT-946
adapter. The CDROM (id 2) was recognized but my harddrive (id
15) wasn't. Nevertheless the menu appeared and I selected
Novice installation. A message appeared telling me a fdisk like
program would be used to select a slice/partition. I pressed
continue upon which I got a message saying no disks were found!

I thought that as my adapter was recognized as a BT-946, which
isn't a wide adapter and as a result doesn't support SCSI id's
higher the 7, my harddisk simply couldn't be seen by the
driver.

Fortunately assigning a different SCSI id on the Fujitsu
harddrive was very easy as the jumpers are on the front of the
harddrive. I removed the four jumpers assigning the harddrive a
SCSI id of 0. I rebooted my computer and this time the driver
did recognize my harddrive.

I was wondering if someone is working on the Buslogic driver to
extend it to include full support for the Buslogic Wide
adapters. This shouldn't be to hard.

Thanks,
Guido Kollerie.