Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2014 11:16:18 -0600
From:      Bigby James <bigby.james@dimthoughts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

On 12/26, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> Can you guys help me answer these questions:
>
> 1. Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?
>
> 2. If yes, have I already done so?

That message is only for folks upgrading a pre-10.0 installation. If you
installed 10.0 or later, any binary packages you install will use the new
format. At present there actually aren't any binary package management tools in
the base system---the 'pkg' command is just a bootstrap that installs pkgng,
which can also be installed from the port in 'ports-mgmt/pkg.'

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams