Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 21:00:28 +0000
From:      Markus Kurek <kurek@unidui.uni-duisburg.de>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sppp  VJ compression under NetBSD

Hi,

I reported a problem compiling the newest i4b beta release with
NetBSD-1.4 a few days ago.

Udo Schweigert suggested a change to spppcontrol.c. This allows me
to compile this beast :)
Unfortunately spppcontrol did not work as expected with a new kernel.

The problem is that the kernel is built with its own
copy of if_spppsubr.c found in /usr/src/sys-i4b/net.
So I changed in conf/files

file net/if_spppsubr.c                  sppp
file i4b/sppp/if_spppsubr.c                  sppp

Now spppcontrol worked but unfortunately I could not establish
a sppp line to my provider. spppcontrol reported that the phase is
established but it never gets to phase=network.
A try to dial in crashed the system immediately.

As a last try I reverted the change to conf/files and moved
the files if_spppsubr.c and if_sppp.h from the i4b-package to net/

And to my surprise it works now.

But new questions arise :)

1.  It seems that all kernel from older i4b-releases used the wrong
if_spppsubr.c on NetBSD. This was not a problem until the recent
change to sppp. The installscript creates a link to the correct
version in the i4b tree, but the file is never used!
Perhaps the installscript should be changed so the 2 files
are copied to net/.  But I don't know if this breaks
anything else. A quick grep on the kernel-sources showed
that only a few files in dev/pci include net/if_sppp.h.

2. What is the benefit of the VJ compression ?
Does it compress user data similar to the v42bis compression
on analog modems ?
I know windows9x and NT provides "software compression" to
ppp-connections. If enabled this boosts downloads of uncompressed text
very good (> 14KB/sec is not unfamiliar).
I tried downloading a text file but I could not see a benefit of
some kind of compression (still around 7KB/sec).

Is there a way to see if compression is enabled or not?
dmesg gives me this:
i4bipr: 2 IP over raw HDLC ISDN device(s) attached (VJ header
compression)
i4bisppp: 4 ISDN SyncPPP device(s) attached

I miss a statement that compression is enabled on the sppp devices...

To summarize the whole story....
On NetBSD-1.4 you need the following patch :

*** spppcontrol.c.orig  Fri Jul  9 08:51:13 1999
--- spppcontrol.c       Mon Jul 19 22:23:38 1999
***************
*** 53,61 ****
  #endif
  #include <netinet/in.h>
  #include <netinet/in_systm.h>
  #include <netinet/ip.h>
  #include <net/slcompress.h>
- #endif

  #ifndef __FreeBSD__
  #include <if_sppp.h>
--- 53,65 ----
  #endif
  #include <netinet/in.h>
  #include <netinet/in_systm.h>
+ #else
+ #include <netinet/in.h>
+ #include <netinet/in_systm.h>
+ #include <netinet/in_var.h>
+ #endif
  #include <netinet/ip.h>
  #include <net/slcompress.h>

  #ifndef __FreeBSD__
  #include <if_sppp.h>

and you need to copy from the i4b distribution sppp/if_sppp.h
and sppp/if_spppsubr.c to /usr/src/sys-i4b/net

YMMV
--
Markus Kurek