Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:47:02 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <webmaster@zwb.net>
To:        Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forced logoff

That's not really what I'm looking for.  Let's say, there is a user that is
about to break into your system.  You _could_ use 'shutdown -k', but let's
say that your boss is writing a very important document, and he's not
autosaving it.  You log everyone off, and your boss kills you because he
needs to write it all over again.

I'm looking to kick one user at a time.

Thanks anyways!
DIma

At 04:40 PM 4/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Dima Dorfman wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know how to forcibely logoff users?  For example, the system is
>> going into maintenence mode, and I want to logout all users, without using
>> shutdown.  Can this be done?
>
>Well, you can *use* shutdown without shutting down, use the -k option.
>>From the man page:
>
>  -k Kick every body off.  The -k option does not actually halt the
>  system, but leaves the system multi-user with logins disabled (for all
>  but super-user).
>
>Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

---
Thanks!
Dima Dorfman - dima@zwb.net

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981 - Bill Gates