Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:47:05 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Nicolas <nicolas.gafgo@bredband.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie trying to build a new world

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:15:16 +0100
Nicolas <nicolas.gafgo@bredband.net> wrote:

> Hello.
> I am a newbie trying to build a new kernel. I have been following the handbook
> step by step but I still do something wrong. I copied GENERIC and did some
> changes and called my new kernel MOAK. I put it into /root/kernels and typed:
> ln -s /root/kernels/MOAK
>  I cvsuped src all and ports all.
> Then and did: make -j4 buildworld.
>  No problem.
> Then I rebooted and went into single user mode and typed:
> make buildkernel KERNCONF=MOAK.

No need to build kernel in single user.

> Then I get this output:
> config: /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MOAK:274: syntax error
> Error code 1
> stop in /usr/src
> error code 1
> Stop in /usr/src
> Is there something wrong in MOAK (see attachment)???

A lot.

 #options 	FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
 options 	SOFTUPDATES		#Enable FFS soft updates support

What type of file system will you be using ? FFS=Berkeley Fast
Filesystem it our fs and SOFTUPDATES, UFS_ACL require FFS

 options 	UFS_ACL			#Support for access control lists
 #options 	UFS_DIRHASH		#Improve performance on big directories

I would keep this also.

 #options 	PROCFS			#Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
 #options 	PSEUDOFS		#Pseudo-filesystem framework

I think you want also this (or you can load the /boot/kernel/
appropriate .ko)

 # Debugging for use in -current
 #options 	DDB			#Enable the kernel debugger
 #options 	INVARIANTS		#Enable calls of extra sanity checking
 options 	INVARIANT_SUPPORT	#Extra sanity checks of internal structures, required by INVARIANTS

Use also INVARIANTS if you want this.

 # Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
 #device		random		# Entropy device

99.9% you do need random

 device		loop		# Network loopback
 #device		ether		# Ethernet support

Also this for networking.

 #device		pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)

Probably this.

 #device		md		# Memory "disks"

If you want MDROOT you probably want this to.

 # USB support
 device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
 device		ohci		# OHCI PCI->USB interface
 device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
 #device		udbp		# USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
 #device		ugen		# Generic
 #device		uhid		# "Human Interface Devices"
 #device		ukbd		# Keyboard
 #device		ulpt		# Printer
 #device		umass		# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
 #device		ums		# Mouse
 #device		urio		# Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
 #device		uscanner	# Scanners
 # USB Ethernet, requires mii
 #device		aue		# ADMtek USB ethernet
 #device		axe		# ASIX Electronics USB ethernet
 #device		cue		# CATC USB ethernet
 #device		kue		# Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

 # FireWire support
 device		firewire	# FireWire bus code

I have the feeling you want also scbus and da for this, not sure.

 #Sound
 device          pcm

You could load the appropriate .ko for your sound card.

 options         PNPBIOS

You don't need PNPBIOS in 5.x, despite the handbook.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user