Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:32:51 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Bjorn Boulder <bornboulder77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD][Newb] How I use sendmail to send mail?

On 2007-06-10 21:25, Bjorn Boulder <bornboulder77@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Doug, Mats
>
> Your advice is on the money; thanks.
>
> I see this:
>
> Jun 10 05:43:40 jake sendmail[15068]: l5AAhekD015068:
> to=bornboulder77@yahoo.com, ctladdr=oracle
> (1004/1005),
> delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
> pri=30062,
> relay=[127.0.0.1] [127.0.0.1], dsn=4.0.0,
> stat=Deferred: Connection
> refused by [127.0.0.1]
>
> Your tip along with that given by Mats suggests that
> I need to learn about /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>
> It appears that the box cannot send mail to itself:

You are still missing important bits about Sendmail configuration on the
FreeBSD operating system.

Please read the `rc.sendmail' manpage VERY VERY carefully, and then tell
us what you can see with:

    grep sendmail /etc/defaults/rc.conf /etc/rc.conf

> Currently, my main assumption is that /etc/mail/sendmail.cf is the
> primary administrative interface for e-mail.

This assumption is wrong.

There is an Internet Email chapter in the FreeBSD Handbook.  Have you
checked it out?  It's far from perfect, but it should help a bit.

> I'll nose around via google.

Make sure you also read the local manpages of your FreeBSD installation,
and the Handbook...  Especially the Handbook.

After you read the `rc.sendmail' manpage and the Handbook chapter about
Sendmail, please do not hesitate to tell us more details about your
current Sendmail setup (including snippets from `/etc/rc.conf', or files
from `/etc/mail').

Even if you have questions _while_ _still_ reading the documentation,
feel free to ask.  There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this list,
and they can eagerly help you, but we can't really walk you -- using a
long-winded email thread -- through all the tiny little steps of setting
up your own Sendmail installation.

Regards,
Giorgos