Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:16:53 +0300
From:      Ruslan Kovtun <yalur@mail.ru>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Choppy performance.

 17 2008 Daniel Andersson Wrote:
> >Turning off prefetch improved my workload (I play video from it for
> >
> > >ex, no more skiped frames)
> >
> > Okay, I'll try it. Guess I'll have to reboot..=3DD
> >
> > >raidz isn't mirroring, that would be the mirror option.
> > >You loose one disk's storage for parity when you use raidz, and since
> > >you only added 2 disks to that raidz you lose 50% of your storage
> > >space. It has the appearance of mirroring but in fact it's not.
> > >Your choice of a raidz was wrong for what you really needed and you
> > >have to destroy the raidz pool to be able to change it.
>
> I suspected it was something like that, for the lack of a better
> word I used mirroring. Thanks for clearing it up for me!
>
> >Instead of using:
> > >zpool create yourpoolname raidz disk1 disk2
> > >use:
> > >zpool create yourpoolname disk1 disk2
>
> Okay, I'll try that. I guess I was a little too eager to try out ZFS
> and didn't read up properly. =3DP
>
> >Ruslan Wrote:
> > I have the same problem - rtorrent to hang temporarily during high load.
> >Today I installed additional 2 GB RAM and now I have 4Gb. With this
> >configuration hanging is more less but still exist (during ZFS upload da=
ta

> >pool and swap use>0).
> >Seems, If swap not used (=3D0) then no any hanging.
> >So, More RAM - more beter.
>
> Okay. My server box's mobo only has two slots for RAM.=3D(
> A curious thing happened today with rtorrent. I had set
> rtorrent so that it couldn't use more than 3072MB of ram.
> (2048MB RAM + swap). rtorrent said it was using 2800MB
> but when I checked with top the swap wasn't in use at all?

How do you calculate totall memory use in top? Real memory use is present=20
in "RES" column but not in "SIZE" column.=20

PID USERNAME =9ATHR PRI NICE =9A SIZE =9A =9ARES STATE =9A =9ATIME =9A WCPU=
 COMMAND
 1215 =9A =9A =9A =9A =9A engy =9A =9A =9A =9A1 =9A99 =9A =9A0 =9A2085M =9A=
 139M zfs:(& =9A49:32
 19.53% =9A =9A =9Artorrent