Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:58:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>
To:        Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xdm errors

Thanks for your reply Peter.

> The easiest way to get xdm working is to pick a Window Manager (the
> program that provides a user interface in X; there's a large variety of
> them, each providing a different look-and-feel) using
> /stand/sysinstall.  I will assume that you've already done this.
Your right.  I had fvwm2 and fvwm95 installed.

> you have, there will be 'skeleton' files /usr/share/skel/dot.xsession
> and /usr/share/skel/dot.xinitrc that you can copy to your home directory
> as .xsession and .xinitrc, respectively.
I don't have these files. Following your message I deleted (with
/stand/sysinstall) both fvwm2 and fvwm2 -  then I re-installed
fvwm2 and installed tvtwm and kde (kde using ports). I hoped to
obtain the sample scripts through this menthod.

I thought I'd try what you have with kde.
Following the loading of these applications I still don't
have the .initrc or .xsession files you mentioned.
I made a .xsession file like yours,  but I still get the sample
blank graphics screen - if I read this properly - X is working OK
but is not executing the programs  to run within it.
My .xsession is the same as yours - my /usr/local/bin/startkde
looks like;
#!/bin/sh

#kaudioserver &
kwmsound &

kfm &
kcontrol -init &

kbgndwm &
krootwm &
kpanel &

kwm
and my .xinitrc looks like
#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: xinitrc.cpp,v 1.4 91/08/22 11:41:34 rws Exp $

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $sysresources
fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f $userresources ]; then
    xrdb -merge $userresources
fi

if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
    xmodmap $usermodmap
fi

# start some nice programs

twm &
xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
xterm -geometry 80x25+494+51 &
xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
exec xterm -geometry 80x24+0+0 -name login
> I'm guessing that you type in your usename, no password and the system
> bumps you back to the login screen after flashing a blank screen
> briefly.  If this is not the case, please give more information.
Yup that's what happens

Thanks all I have - hope that's enough for you to go on.
Thanks-
Dave Banning
tracker@worldy.com