Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 2001 17:40:49 +0900
From:      Yoshihiro Koya <Yoshihiro.Koya@math.yokohama-cu.ac.jp>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.org, kapr@acm.org, brian@Awfulhak.org
Cc:        Yoshihiro.Koya@math.yokohama-cu.ac.jp, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: pcm driver and DEVFS

Hello,

Thank you for advices.  Now I obtain same environment as of pre-devfs days.

From: Alex Kapranoff <kapr@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:29:09 +0300

>   Yep. I have these in my /etc/rc.devfs:
> =================
> ln -fs /dev/audio1.0 /dev/audio
> ln -fs /dev/dsp1.0 /dev/dsp
> ln -fs /dev/mixer1 /dev/mixer
> =================
>
> This produces almost exactly same environment both with DEVFS and without.

I tried this solusion. Everything around sound drivers works.
But, the another solution

From: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 11:33:34 -0800 (PST)

> Add 'hw.snd.unit=1' to /boot/loader.conf.

also works fine.  The links suggested by the above also created
automatically.  In order to examin this, I commented out the lines
looks like:

> ln -fs /dev/audio1.0 /dev/audio
> ln -fs /dev/dsp1.0 /dev/dsp
> ln -fs /dev/mixer1 /dev/mixer

and reboot the system, I found actually /dev/dsp, /dev/audio and so
on.

Finally, please let me point out that there are no description about
hw.snd.unit MIB in sysctl(8) manpage yet.

Thanks!!

koya