Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 12:57:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        branson@widomaker.com (Branson Matheson)
Cc:        grog@lemis.de, jdunham@fc.net, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help? (fwd)

According to Branson Matheson:
> On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > >   [[ ... ]]

>  You're not sposta... seems that you forgot to leave in the lines that
>  I stated about testing with xdm -nodaemon!!!! xdm is _designed_ to
>  restart every time. and if you need a text terminal .. use the <ctrl>
>  <Alt> <f1> to switch back to the console! to kill the xdm stuff...
>  you have to kill -TERM the xdm with the lowest pid. This will keep it
>  from re-spawning. If you use -HUP it will respawn right that second.
>
> > > If I've logged in as root I can
> > > get back to the login screen, but I can't quit from there: ^D doesn't work
> > > and neither does your suggestion of ^[alt]-[backspace].
> >
> > ctrl-alt-backspace will kill the X server, which xdm will then
> > cheerfully restart.

	[[ ... ]]

> > xdm is great for people who never want (nor need) to see a character
> > mode display.  Unfortunately, not everything runs under X, and xdm
> > effectively takes away some of your freedom.  I use xinit myself, and
> > for the life of me I can't recall what the difference is from startx.
> > Not much, anyway.  You could consider them interchangeable.
>
>  well kinda... xdm gives you an x interface when you want it.. but you
>  still have the option of getting the console interface at any time by
>  using <ctrl> <Alt> <f1>. Just a little explanation:
>
>  there are 12 syscons consoles compiled into the GENERIC kernel. 0,1,2
>  are all setup to present you with a login prompt.  3 is the default
>  console to start your X session on...  so you can still switch back
>  to the others using the <ctrl><Alt><f[1-3]>.  By way of note...  you
>  can switch back to the x console using <alt><f4>.

	Hello, people,

	Doesn't this tips (saved from a posting last June) sum
	it up::

	   After adding the following line to /etc/ttys

	   ttyv3 "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure

	   I found the X11 login screen appeared after bootup was completed.

	??

	This--setting up xdm to allow me to use the standard virtual
	consoles--remains one of my tweaks.  I've found that pkg_add
	is one of the utilities that doesn't work correctly from an
	xterm.  I was fumbling around, looking for netscape and arena
	and other packages.

	Having multiple terms is a major win; and having to reboot,
	single-user, to get the console display is a pain.  Adding
	the ttyv3 line to /etc/ttys should do it.  Hopefully... !

	gary