Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:46:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        jason@dstc.edu.au (jason andrade)
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to copy packages-4.6.2-release tree to packages-4-stable ?

jason andrade wrote:
 > On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 >
 > > Whatever you do -- *please* no hardlinks.
 > > They are a PITA to mirror.
 >
 > i guess it depends on what mirror technology you use.  mirror.pl
 > hates hardlinks.  rsync loves them..

I use omi (ports/ftp/omi), because I don't trust rsync.
Also, the servers which I'm mirroring from don't support
rsync (I don't have access to ftp-master).

Omi mirrors hardlink as separate files, because there is
no easy way to detect hardlinks via FTP in a portable way.
Unfortunately, the FTP protocol wasn't designed with
mirroring in mind.

Regards
   Oliver  (maintainer of ftp7.de.freebsd.org)