Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 2004 08:13:40 -0500
From:      Michael Johnson <ahze@ahze.net>
To:        Mal Page <mal@malpage.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: vlc-0.8.1_1

--Apple-Mail-1-329052350

On Nov 21, 2004, at 7:51 AM, Mal Page wrote:

> Thank you very much for your fast response Michael!
> I really appreciate it.
>
> I tried everything you said, even reinstalled the sdl lib.
>
> But no matter what I do, the sound (if you call it that..)  is terribly
> choppy (no change from before).

Which version of FreeBSD are you using?
If you're using 4.x you are missing out on MMX/SSE optimizations because
of gcc 2.95. I'm working on a work around to use gcc 3.4 and not
break compatibility with liveMedia and maybe other ports so
vlc on 4.x can use MMX/SSE.

I'm also adding a new knob to vlc some time today which will be
"WITH_PORTAUDIO"
which will use ports/audio/portaudio which will be yet another audio
out put plugin.

> When I run vlc from cli, I always get
> "oss audio output error: cannot open audio device (/dev/dsp)"
>
> I have tried "chmod 666 /dev/dsp" with no avail.
>
> Does anyone else have this??  I am sorry for bothering you like this.

If you're on 5.x see /etc/devfs.conf

> Thank you again.
>
> Mal Page

<--- snip--->

 > for the list of VLC's supported audio out puts. SDL might be your best
> bet
> to try first, you can enable this at start by "vlc -I sdl" or at run
> time by
> Settings -> Preferences -> Audio -> (at the bottom check Advanced
> options) ->
> Audio out module -> Simple DirectMedia Layer audio
> then click Save.

Try all the audio out put plugins, one might work better for you.

> If that doesn't work try "vlc --oss-buggy" or "vlc --no-oss-buggy"

Cheers,
Michael

--Apple-Mail-1-329052350
	name=PGP.sig