Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 13:54:21 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: 4.0-Stable/XFree86-4.0/syscons switching crash

>> Much more distressing: if I switch out of X to a text mode console with
>> Ctrl-Alt-Fn, and then switch back to X, the machine freezes up
>> completely and has to be power-cycled. It does first switch back into
>> graphics mode, and I can see the top part of the screen is messed up, so
>> it hasn't restored the low memory.
>>
>I had similar problems.  I removed splash_bmp from my loader.conf,
>splash screen/screen saver, and the problems has gone away for me.  My
>would lockup if I tried to return to X from text after the delay time.

Would you give me some more details?

1. Exact sequence of events when this happened.
2. Settings in loader.conf.
3. Output from `vidcontrol -i adapter' and `vidcontrol -i mode'.
4. /var/run/dmesg.boot when the system was started by `boot -v'.
5. FreeBSD and XFree86 versions.
6. Output from `X -probeonly'.

Thank you.

Kazu