Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 16:25:30 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Wayne, Ken" <WAYNEK@SCHNEIDER.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Replacing Exchange Server

"Wayne, Ken" wrote:

> I am in the information gathering stage of what to use instead of MS Exchange
> as my mail server and would appreciate any suggestions on which FreeBSD email
> server you would recommend.
>
> My requirements are simply to replace what I am currently doing with
> Exchange.  I registered a domain that my ISP hosts and have a static IP
> address from my ISP and an MX record in there DNS.  They queue my email for
> me and Exchange sends an ETRN command to retrieve mail from the queue
> periodically.  I have about 15 email addresses, and the clients are outlook
> on Win '95.
>
> It would appear that SendMail could do what I want, but is this the best mail
> service (ease of use, support, features, etc...), does it support ETRN, and
> can I use Outlook to read my mail?

As is usual in the PC world, Exchange is providing several services here,
none of them very good.  You can accomplish the same with several tools
that are shipped with FreeBSD.

For mail transport, use Sendmail.  It *is* the standard for Internet email.
It is also flexible and well known, and the most secure transport because
it is so widely used and open-source.  If you do not want to learn the
somewhat arcane configuration file syntax, you can buy Sendmail Plus and
use the Plus part to generate your configuration files; most FreeBSD
admins simply customize one of the example config files shipped with
FreeBSD.

To retrieve your mail from your ISP via ETRN mode, you need fetchmail.
You can setup a cron job to run fetchmail regularly, as I do.

I provide client access to the mail server, you need a POP3 or IMAP4 server,
or perhaps both.  imap-uw provides both types of access and is simple to
configure.  It works well with sendmail.

I'm using the above configuration for my small domain, with 7 or so active
email accounts, and it works quite well.  Other servers exists in each of
these areas, and have their unique plusses and minuses.

Best of luck.  Replacing Exchange with just about anything would be an
improvement, and you've started off with a good base in FreeBSD.