Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 08:51:23 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

Thomas M. Sommers said on May 18, 2000 at 19:43:56:
> David Schwartz wrote:
> >
> >         The GPL does state:
> >
> >  "Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim copies
> >  of this license document, but changing it is not allowed."
> >
> >         But this does not grant permission to apply the GPL to your works
> > however you please.
>
> It doesn't have to.  You can use it any way you want, subject to any
> restrictions on use that it contains, and it contains none.

In a later mail RMS confirmed that this is his own opinion.  I wrote

   >     Is it ok to license one's software under "version 2 of the GPL, and
   >     only that version"?
   >
   > It is a bad idea, because when we have GPL version 3 and release other
   > programs under version 3, your program will be stuck at GPL version 2.
   > And it will be illegal to copy code between your program and all the
   > other GPL-covered programs that are released under GPL version 3.

   Thanks.  The claim which I needed to answer was that a person who
   GPL's his program is forced to permit use of any later version, thus
   allowing the FSF more control over the licensing terms at any time in
   the future than he himself will ever possess.  My answer (and that of
   some others) was basically that nobody forces you to do it but people
   do it out of choice.  Moreover, even with the "any later version
   option", if the GPL 3 turns out to have some undesirable clauses,
   people will still have the *option* of continuing to distribute it
   under version 2.

and he answered