Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:09:54 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow DNS (and host: connection timed out)

--nextPart1569137.UzYsP5bdnB

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 09:33:36 Mel wrote:
> On Thursday 05 February 2009 22:55:56 David Naylor wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My ISP is using a WinGate DNS but resolving host names often takes a lo=
ng
> > time.  The problem is also present in Konqueror (3 & 4) and Firefox.
> >
> > An example:
> > # time host google.co.za
> > google.co.za has address 66.249.93.104
> > google.co.za has address 72.14.207.104
> > google.co.za has address 64.233.161.104
> > ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
> > ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
>
> Do your own DNS. Your ISP chokes in AAAA ('IPv6') look ups. If you're not
> allowed to, still run a local resolver with aggressive neg ttl caching.
>
> See the numerous tutorials on the web on how to run your own resolver.

Well spotted.  You are right that the ISP is choking on AAAA, except it is=
=20
returning SERVFAIL.  I already have a local named running and acts as a=20
forwarder.  Unfortunately I have to use the ISP to resolve names (it is the=
=20
only nameserver I have access to). =20

Google says bind won't cache SERVFAIL responces and I have no idea how to=20
disable named from forwarding AAAA requests. =20