Date:      Mon, 04 Jul 2011 00:43:46 -0500
From:      Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Making an mbr boot usb on 8.2-stable

I recently changed my raid0 into two raid1's so I can have redundancy.
Getting a disk to boot was harder than I ever remember.  Part of the
problem, my gigabyte bios locks up hard if there's a gpt usb drive
plugged in, not even scanning the memory.  It seems to be a little known
problem.  Some of the stuff I read on the internet mentions fdisk being
somewhat broken because of geom changes, and I couldn't get a usb disk
to boot that I made with fdisk or gpart.  I ended up just dd'ing a
memstick image from freebsd.org onto a drive and booting that.
Annoyingly, the only one supporting zfs v28 is the 9-current image
judging by the timestamps.

I'm still wanting a rescue disk, and gpt is out of the question.  I
don't want a cd because I want a full install and to be able to
periodically update it.  I can partition the drive, install freebsd on
it, but it won't boot.  I've tried gpart, fdisk, and sade but I can't
seem to be able to make it actually boot or even reach loader.  I think
the furthest I got was boot1.