Date:      Sun, 16 Dec 2001 14:25:45 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, "David Greenman" <dg@root.com>
Cc:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, "FreeBSD Chat" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why no Indians and Arabs?

Brandon writes:

> To me this is one of the more interesting things
> about open source software development in general.
> The ethnic diversity is amazing.

Given that the planet itself is just as diverse ethnically, why would
diversity among developers be amazing?

> It would be an interesting exercise in seeing
> just show diverse and enlightened a community
> a project of this size supports.

Diversity and enlightenment are not necessarily correlated.

> I know over the years I've been impressed at some
> of the top level domains I see regularly communicating
> over the FreeBSD mailing lists.

Over a single week, my little Web site receives visitors from over 60
countries.  Given that, I'd expect a mailing list like this to cover every
country in the world with an Internet connection, every day.  In fact, the
nature of the Internet is such that I'd expect any public resource to
receive visitors from just about every country in the world over a fairly
short period.