Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:56:26 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        h <h@erathia.be>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 5.3-STABLE ????

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 02:49:38PM +0200, h wrote:
> On Monday 18 October 2004 09:56, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> > No -- that's expected.  Once the RELENG_5_3 branch was created, the
> > RELENG_5 branch would be relabeld as -STABLE.  Note that these are
> > just technical changes to the CVS repository and that all they do is
> > presage the actual release/launch of those OS versions.  ie. You might
> > be seeing 5.3-STABLE in your uname(1) output, but it isn't official
> > until the project announces it.
> >
> > If your eventual aim is to install 5.3-RELEASE, this would be a good
> > time to change your supfile to track RELENG_5_3.  Again -- that's just
> > producing release candidates at the moment: the release isn't official
> > until it's announced.
>=20
> if 5.3 hits the -STABLE tag does that mean my 4.*-STABLE boxes are going =
to=20
> download the 5.*-STABLES sources or are they safe with their tag ?

No.  Your 4.x-STABLE boxes will be using the RELENG_4 tag in their sup
files.  To get 5.3-STABLE you'ld have to deliberately change to using
the RELENG_5 tag -- not a good idea though, as a source upgrade from
4.x to 5.x is not recommended and should be limited to experts and
gurus only.

The relationship between the most commonly used CVS tags and OS
versions is like this at the moment:

    RELENG_4      4.10-STABLE
    RELENG_4_10   4.10-RELEASE-p3
    RELENG_5      5.3-STABLE          (not official yet)
    RELENG_5_2    5.2.1-RELEASE-p11
    RELENG_5_3    5.3-RC1             (not official yet)
    . (HEAD)      6.0-CURRENT

The new RELENG_5_3 tag, and the name change on the RELENG_5 branch to
5.3-STABLE have yet to be formally announced.  The OS names on any of
those branches are liable to be changed as a normal part of the
development of the system: -RELEASE-pN being incremented each time a
new security alert comes out, and the X.Y-STABLE changing to
X.(Y+1)-BETA prior to the branching of X.(Y+1)_RELEASE and then
becoming X.(Y+1)-STABLE after it.  Note that the first number in any
CVS tag /always/ matches the OS major version number.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way