Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:19:07 -0500
From:      Rod Taylor <oscentral@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network Cards

I've often wondered this, but why is it that every network card has a different
'name'.

xl0, rl0, vr0, ed0, etc. etc. etc

I tried simlinking them to a common name (I have xl0, rl0, and ed0 active in my
current machine).   linked to eth0, eth1, eth2 (didn't work).

However, it would be nice if they all had a common name to the end user..
Primarily, me..  Especially when you rip out one card, install another, then
the name changes on you...
--
Rod Taylor

Proud Member of Team OS/2