Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:36:04 +0100
From:      Steve Coles <scoles@tripos.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Promise Ultra-ATA100 vs FastTrak 100 Speeds

I have both of these Promise controllers.

There has been a lot of press that these are the same cards, and I
seem to remember that FreeBSD treats the FastTrak as just an IDE
controller, so can anyone enlighten me on the vast speed differential
between the two:

Approx. Methodology
-------------------
I attach 2 similar IBM 20Gb ATA 100 disks to each in turn, with
appropriate cables, make a ccd stripe on the whole disk area and test
the speed with dd at various block sizes / stripe sizes / FastTrak
BIOS configuration. For all tests the transfer size was about 2Gb at
the beggining of the disk, source  / destinations = /dev/null or
/dev/zero.

Summarised Results
------------------
1) One drive alone (no ccd) reads and writes at 30 Mb/Sec
2) Ultra 100 reads and writes at 29 MB/sec
3) FastTrak 100 writes at 50 MB/sec, reads at 48 MB/sec

These results, within experimental error, are irrespective of:

1) Drive / IDE channel assigment - ie 2 cables Master+Master v. 1
cable Master+Slave
2) FastTrak BIOS configuration (FreeBSD just sees the plain drives)

Questions
---------

1) Why is the Ultra so slow ( constructive answers only please :) ?
2) If I add another drive to the FastTrak will I see a similar (75%
approx) performance increase ?
3) Does the FastTrak BIOS do anything ?

Steve