Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 20:32:58 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        scrappy@ki.net (Marc G. Fournier), jkh@time.cdrom.com, jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr, se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic during boot

>> 	Wait, what's wrong with -n??  Except for the other day, I always
>> use -gn when I reconfig the sources before compiling, so that I don't lose
>> my version #.
>
>It would have been nice if you mentioned this back when you were talking
>about other problems you were having.
>
>-n is _evil_.  If any changes have been made to your kernel sources that
>you are not _intimately_ familiar with, (ie. you have resupped), then
>you _must_must_must_ not use -n.  Dependencies aren't enough to protect
>you from losing like this.  I suspect this _may_ be part of your problem.

   Indeed. Even the dependencies themselves don't always work as expected so
some things don't get rebuilt when they need to be. The whole reason why
Jordan made the change to config to blow away the compile directory was
because we kept getting weird bug reports that later turned out to be caused
by a stale .o's.

-DG

David Greenman