Date:      Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:44:48 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make.conf for 6.0

dick hoogendijk wrote:
> My make.conf contains (fbsd-5.4)
> CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
>
> Are these settings the same for the upcoming release6 or do I need to
> set -O2 in this new version?

FreeBSD is moving towards "-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing" by default [1], but there
is nothing wrong with using "-O" only.  On most platforms, there isn't much
difference between -O and -O2, although -O2 does help more with the x86
architecture.

--
-Chuck

[1] Or, if we get lucky, perhaps the local compiler guru will choose to make
the strict-aliasing option in GCC default to being off.  Also, not everybody
seems to agree with this, which is probably not surprising.  :-)