Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 16:07:29 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        tomdean@ix.netcom.com (Thomas Dean)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make aout-to-elf failures (from 2.2.7-RELEASE to -current ELF)

Thomas Dean wrote:

> I am in the midst of updating the bootblocks.  I have two SCSI disks,
> da0 is WINNT and da1 is -current.  I am currently using OS-BS.  I am
> reading in the archives, attempting to upgrade.  So far, I have
> backed-up and made new boot and fixit floppies.
>
> I found in the archives:
>
> cp /usr/mdec/boot? /boot
> echo '/boot/loader' > /boot.config
> disklabel -B bootdevices
>
> Also a reference to make in /sys/boot.
>
> Will 'make && make install' in /sys/boot do all that is needed?
>
> After I figure out the bootblocks, I will try aout-to-elf-build, then
> aout-to-elf-install, followed with building an elf kernel.
>
> Any pointers to doc's on upgrade the bootblocks?

All that's really needed is:

    # Ensure that /boot exists
    mkdir -p /boot

    # Install latest bootblocks in /boot
    cd /sys/boot
    make all install

    # Upgrade bootblocks for each target slice
    disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 $SLICE

NOTES:

    o  You probably want to delete /boot.config after upgrading,
       though having one or more of the serial options -h -D -P
       in /boot.config may still be useful.

    o  For recent versions of disklabel(8), the -b and -s options
       can be omitted (RTFM/UTSL to check defaults).

    o  If you have only one FreeBSD slice per drive, you can
       specify the drive (eg. da1) rather than the slice (eg. da1s1)
       in the disklabel command.

--
Robert Nordier