Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 00:58:57 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Alastair Rankine <alastair@cia.com.au>, grendal@phoenix.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: true PAP and iijppp

Michael Duran asked:
 % Using Windows 95 and Windows NT's DUN/RAS I can connect to it perfectly
 % every time and it authenticates as it is supposed to.  I cannot, however
 % get iijppp to work AT ALL with it.  I've tried manually, I've tried
 % everything.  Here is my current entry for the PAP dialup in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
 %
 % dialup:
 %  set line /dev/cuaa0
 %  set speed 57600
 %  set phone 2812287908
 %  set timeout 1200
 %  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0
 %  set redial 5 5
 %  disable lqr
 %  deny lqr
 %  enable pap
 %  disable chap
 %  set authname MyUsername
 %  set authkey MyPassword
 %  set openmode active

Alastair Rankine writes:
 > By coincidence my ISP switched over to PAP for all it's logins and I had to
 > wrestle with this problem myself last night.
 >
 > If I remember correctly, the trick is to use "accept pap" instead of
 > "enable pap". (Presumably a corresponding "deny chap" statement is also
 > needed)

That should do it.  Also, you may want to turn on some debugging and
watch the log files.  I usually start with 'set debug phase chat lcp'
which will show you most of the opening parts of the conversation.