Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 16:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca (Tim Vanderhoek)
Cc:        fieber@indiana.edu, marquis@roble.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

Tim Vanderhoek writes:
> > If someone was interested, it would be easy to write a script
> > that checks all the ports:
>
> Yes and no.  :)
>
> Ports are not necessarily supposed to remove everything they install.
>
> What's needed (and has been needed for a long time) is to allow the
> user to choose between "pkg_delete_for_ever" and
> "pkg_delete_im_gonna_upgrade_now" (where there upgrading is the most
> commen reason for desiring such as deinstall, but not the only one).
>
> Currently all deinstalls are of the "pkg_delete_im_gonna_upgrade_now"
> type.

Can you give an example where pkg_delete_im_gonna_upgrade_now !=
pkg_delete_for_ever ? What does pkg_delete_im_gonna_upgrade_now mean
exactly?

I would think pkg_delete_for_ever should be the default.

> To be even more ambitious, you should consider comparing /etc before
> and after, too.  Maybe throw-in a comparison of /etc between install
> and deinstall, too.  Some ports modify things in there that they
> should not (mgetty+sendfax bit me last time I installed it, for
> example).

All stuff that wants to go in /etc should go in /usr/local/etc and/or
/usr/local/etc/rc.d instead.

> A (probably) surprising number of ports will legitimately require
> a read-write /.

Then the port has a bug, IMHO (oh well, MHO never counted for much.. :-)

-Archie