Date:      Wed, 2 Oct 1996 13:45:19 -0400
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: isdn code

>> > To the rest on this line:  Dennis doesn't like ISDN, and will try to
>> > put it down as much as possible to boost his own Frame Relay stuff,
>>
>> Wasn't this Terry ? ;-)
>
>No; I favor frame relay because I can go over 64k without bonding and
>over 128k at all.  I also favor it for an ISP because I need only one
>connection termination for the cloud, and I don't have to buy DSU's and
>routers and fan out cards.
>
>I could, if I wanted, terminate the T1 to the cloud at my NSP and have
>no real transport overhead, as an ISP offering FR end-pointing.  For
>a 50% peak bandwith overcommit, I can charge about $80/Month in a US West
>service area.  This is about $220/Month cheaper than ISDN and still
>leaves me $60k/year to run a support desk.  If I increase my overcommit,
>or my charges, it gives me some slack, some profit taking, and some
>expansion capitol.

This argument, again, is somewhat misguided, as you can certainly run
frame relay over ISDN. My original comment was that ISDN is simply transport....
its not a networking protocol, and is not directly comparible to frame relay.
The ppp / HDLC comment simply pointed out that saying that one is
better than the other has no meaning since ppp often runs over HDLC.

Dennis