Date:      Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:48:45 -0500
From:      <myfreebsd@cox.net>
To:        "Axel S. Gruner" <liste@encephalon.de>
Cc:        Axel.Gruner@suedfactoring.de, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Load at 1.00 on SMP machine

Have you tried it as follows:

1. Compile kernel with SMP and APIC included
2. Set machdep.hlt_logical_cpus=0 in loader.conf or sysctl.conf (0 not 1)
3. Set machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=1 in loader.conf

See if that helps. If not, remove machdep.hyperthreading or set it to 0. From my understanding that should disable HTT

>From FreeBSD 6.0 RelNotes:
Because of an information disclosure vulnerability on processors using Hyper-Threading Technology (HTT), the machdep.hyperthreading_allowed sysctl variable has been added. It defaults to 1 (HTT enabled) on FreeBSD CURRENT, and 0 (HTT disabled) on the 4-STABLE and 5-STABLE development branches and supported security fix branches. More information can be found in security advisory FreeBSD-SA-05:09.htt. [MERGED]

I think machdep.hlt_logical_cpus does not deactivate the other cpu it just keeps the OS from directing data to it hence the 1.00 load on your remaining cpu.

David