Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 23:22:35 +0200
From:      Marco Masotti <mc7953@mclink.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mc7953@mclink.it
Subject:   RE: PPP Configuration...

Adrian Chew <adrchew@pop.jaring.my> writes on Wed, 26 Jun 1996

>I've got user PPP configured on my system only to find out that ppp >wants a dstaddr (destination IP address) for -auto mode...  is there
>a way to work around this for dial-up PPP with dynamic IP addressing?

My particular problem was that not only the address assigned to me
always changed but also the ISP gateway did, each time connected.

After a wee bit of repeated failures, carefully re-reading the man page
(rather than the handbook actually), I managed using the notation that
more loosely define an IP address:

	ifaddr xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/yy xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/yy

where yy is the number bits significant in the IP address.

So, 192.106.166.93/24 means any IP address in the range from
192.106.166.1 to 192.106.166.254, besides 192.106.166.93 of course. This
way you can define a dynamic address, though still limited in a
relatively wide specified range.

Just in case: in my PPP config file I did not specify any defaultroute
statement, add 0 0 HISADDR, or similar, because that tended to confuse
the software.

Say hello to everyone,

Marco M.