Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:46:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TYAN Thunder 2500-80 and FreeBSD 4.1

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Mike Smith wrote:
This night I swapped our old SMP server, based on a GigaByte GA686DX dual
mainboard, Intel 440BX to the new system based on the TYAN Thunder 2500-80,
based on ServerWorks III/HE chipset. Well, it seems that FreeBSD likes much more
expensive hardware than the cheaper one :-). To say it in short words:
The system ist up without any kind of problem! The only problem occured with
my prepared SMP kernel, because it detected 2 APICs instead of one and
4 busses instead of three (I forgot the ISA bus). This is maybe subject of
being aware of for those who swapp, too. Except the higher amount of memory
(old server had 512 MB PC100-222 memory, new machine has 1GB PC133-333 ECC),
I use at this moment the same hardware: same harddrive array with vinum,
but now with LSI Symbios Logic 896 driver (prior system had Adaptec 2940U2W
on PCI). The NIC was an Intel Ether Express PRO 10/100+ Serveradaptor,
the new NIC is the one which is built in. Well, in summary I have the
subjective feeling that the system works slightly faster than before and
that seems not to be only the effect of more memory!
:>>
:>> I need a little bit help and assistance in some hardware/smp questions.
:>> At the moment, one of our main servers is based on a dual-gigabyte intel
:>> 440BX chipset based mainboard. These days we change, we want to swapp
:>> over to a new mainboard and new CPUs. The mainboard has been choosen
:>> from TYAN, TYAN Thunder 2500-80. I watched out for compatibility reasons
:>> not to obtain the Symbios Logic 53C1010 (SCSI-3/160) based board, because
:>> SymbiosLogic 53C896 seems to be fully supported.
:>
:>The 53c1010 is also very well supported.
:>
:>> It seems, that the
:>> TYAN Thunder 2500 is one of the best mainboards on market - but has anyone
:>> tested it using FBSD?
:>
:>Yes.  We (FreeBSD Labs) evaluated a sample of this board about a month
:>ago.  I had no problems with it at all, and qualified it for FreeBSD 4.1
:>and above.
:>
:>--
:>... every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his
:>rivals and unfortunately opponents also.  But not because people want
:>to be opponents, rather because the tasks and relationships force
:>people to take different points of view.  [Dr. Fritz Todt]
:>
:>
:>

Gruss O. Hartmann