Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 06:20:45 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: make release question

Yeah, I just stumbled across the magic answer myself.

${buildroot}/modules is *empty*.

Ok... So I've just been "lucky" before (ie, I use vn(4) enough that I always
seem to have it loaded by the time I do a make release).

I also dug through the re documentation that says you no longer need vn(4)
compiled in because vnconfig(8) would load it for you.. kinda sorta.

I'd like to make the following changes:

1) Have make release populate the ${chroot}/modules directory.
   What's the "best" way to do this.  Most likely to copy over
   /modules from the running system (perhaps look at the sysctl variable
   to make sure it isn't modules.old or something?)  Do we want all of
   /modules, or just vn.ko?  Do we want /kernel (or whatever sysctl tells
   us?

2) fix vnconfig.c: please see the following code snippet:

   if (modfind("vn") < 0)
      if (kldload("vn") < 0 || modfind("vn") < 0)
         warnx( "cannot find or load \"vn\" kernel module");

   Its late/early/whatever, but it seems to me that this could be
   _very_ easily simplified to:
   if ((modfind("vn") < 0) && (kldload("vn") < 0))

David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Lab Director                              | Rm: 308 Lally Hall
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,         | Ph: 518.276.2860
Department of Computer Science            | Fax: 518.276.4033
I speak only for myself.                  | WinNT:Linux::Linux:FreeBSD