Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:34:27 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: binary upgrades and /usr/src/UPDATING

On 24/06/2015 23:44, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 17:04:45 -0400, Chuck @ Mantis wrote:
>> In past versions of BSD I've complied my own updates from source but now
>> that I've started using the binary upgrade 'freebsd-update' where can I
>> read /usr/src/UPDATING before updating things? I used to do it after a
>> cvs/svn update
>
> If your /etc/freebsd-update.conf contains the "src" component,
> the /usr/src subtree will be subject to updates. You can at first
> run "freebsd-update fetch" to obtain the compressed update and
> look for the file that would become /usr/src/UPDATING (and can
> be found in /var/db/freebsd-update) when you apply the update
> with "freebsd-update install".

I know that's the theory, but I've just noticed it doesn't seem to work
in practice. On the one machine I have that has /usr/src I switched to
using freebsd-update in late 2014. In freebsd-update.conf I have

 > grep ^Components /etc/freebsd-update.conf
Components src world/base kernel

 > freebsd-version -ku
10.1-RELEASE-p10
10.1-RELEASE-p13

 > ls -lt /usr/src | head -10
total 771
drwxr-xr-x   14 root  wheel      19 27 Nov  2014 release
drwxr-xr-x   25 root  wheel      94 27 Nov  2014 etc
-rw-r--r--    1 root  wheel  287030 24 Oct  2014 ObsoleteFiles.inc
drwxr-xr-x  215 root  wheel     224  5 Oct  2014 usr.sbin
drwxr-xr-x  257 root  wheel     265  5 Oct  2014 usr.bin
drwxr-xr-x   13 root  wheel      17  5 Oct  2014 tools
drwxr-xr-x    4 root  wheel       7  5 Oct  2014 tests
drwxr-xr-x   57 root  wheel      58  5 Oct  2014 sys
drwxr-xr-x   29 root  wheel      31  5 Oct  2014 share

I.e. my source hasn't updated in well over a year, although the various
bin and lib directories show updates from this month. Could this be due
to this message

# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-RELEASE from update6.freebsd.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

The following files are affected by updates, but no changes have
been downloaded because the files have been modified locally:
/var/db/mergemaster.mtree

No updates needed to update system to 10.1-RELEASE-p13.

and is there any way to fix it? Yes, I know I can get the source from
svn but as I'm using freebsd-update it shouldn't be necessary.

--
Those who do not learn from computing history are doomed to
GOTO 1