Date:      Fri, 23 May 2008 08:29:09 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>, James Seward <jamesoff@gmail.com>, Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
Subject:   Re: BTX loader hangs after version info

On Friday 23 May 2008 07:53:11 am Kostik Belousov wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 01:22:55PM +1200, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> > James Seward wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >Two days ago I csup'd my desktop at home, which was running RELENG_7
> > >from about 7.0-RELEASE time, to bring it up-to-date (still on
> > >RELENG_7). I followed my usual buildkernel/world procedure (the usual
> > >one) which has worked fine all the way since 5.x. After installing
> > >kernel and restarting in single user, it was working fine. However,
> > >following installworld it will not boot.
> > >
> > >It stops immediately after "BTX loader 1.00 BTX version 1.02", but
> > >with the cursor on the line *above* the first "B". Nothing futher
> > >happens, but the system responds to Ctrl-Alt-Del.
> > >
> > >I have managed to start it using the install CD and csup'd back to a
> > >version just before the commit to BTX that moved it to 1.02 (March
> > >18th, I think). However, that version too hangs after "BTX loader 1.00
> > >BTX version 1.01".
> > >
> > >My desktop is currently building RELENG_7_0 to see if that will work,
> > >but I won't know that until later as I'm at work and it is at home :)
> > >
> > >The install CD (BTX 1.00/1.01) boots fine. Nothing else changed on my
> > >system between the last successful boot and the unsuccessful one.
> > >
> > >Any suggestions/advice for what I can try next, or what I can do to
> > >help the troubleshooting process?
> > >
> > >My desktop is an Athlon64 but I am using i386, on an Asus A8V-E Deluxe
> > >board.
> >
> > FWIW - I am seeing this too, on a Supermicro P3TDDE. 7-STABLE src from
> > 28-Feb is fine, but Mar, Apr, May code all hangs after printing "loading
> > /boot/defaults/loader.conf" - presumably reading my /boot/loader.conf?
> >
> > Interestingly I can usually get it to boot by escaping to the loader
> > prompt and then just pressing return.
> >
> > Oddly some other machines (Supermicro P3TDER and Asus PRO31J Laptop)
> > behave normally with src from Mar->May.
> >
> > In all cases the canonical procedure from UPDATING was used (buildworld,
> > kernel, reboot single, mergemaster -p, installworld, delete-old,
> > mergemaster, reboot).
> >
> > I happy to help collect some debug info (how do you switch this on for
> > the loader?), tho the machine exhibiting the problem is my workstation
> > (of course)!
>
> Try to install new bootblock.

I would be wary of that as it might make things worse?  These problems are all
from starting /boot/loader.  boot2 is still working fine and thus there is
still the possiblity of using boot2 to load /boot/loader.old as a workaround.
If you update boot2 and it breaks you can't fix that w/o booting off of some
other media such as a CD.

Debugging these hangs is not easy to do remotely.  If you know assembly then
there are some things you can play with.  For example, in the case where it
hangs after printing out the BTX version (from btxldr.S) you could start
adding debugging to btx.S to print out '.' characters in various places and
see how many get printed out before it hangs.  However, doing this requires
familiarity with assembly and is a lot easier with physical access to a box.

--
John Baldwin