Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 2006 11:21:06 +1300
From:      Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
To:        Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
Cc:        Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Philipp Ost <pj@smo.de>
Subject:   Re: vr speed issues

--------------030507060602060905080302

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Charles Sprickman wrote:
>
>> I also did a little more digging and noticed that once I start pinging
>> from one of these hosts using large packet sizes, I get about 50-60%
>> packet loss (ie: ping -s 1500 other.vr0.host).  If I ping something
>> with a decent card, I get about 30-50% packet loss.  There's no packet
>> loss with the default packet size.
>>
>> Anyone else with some vr cards feel like checking this out?
>>

> I've got a VIA Rhine III card that I can dig out and put in if the data
> would be of any use/interest etc - FWIW I seem to recall being able to
> get reasonably close to wire speed when I was using it.

I plugged in the card today, and seem to get pretty reasonable
performance (8-10MB/s for scp - see attached). The two boxes are plugged
into a Linksys router via store made cat5 or cat6 cables. The second box
has an Intel PRO 100 (fxp) adapter.

Removing the vr card and going back to fxp everywhere seems to provide
better performance (e.g. get 9MB/s in the last test), but the vr
performance is acceptable (maybe your router clashes with your card?).

Cheers

Mark

--------------030507060602060905080302

Testing VIA Phine (vr) Adapter
==============================

Setup for box with vr adapter
-----------------------------

# pciconf -lv
vr0@pci0:9:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x14031186 chip=0x31061106 rev=0x86 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'VT6105M/LOM Rhine III PCI Fast Ethernet Controller'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet

# ifconfig vr0
vr0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.1.11 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 192.168.255.255
        ether 00:0d:88:f5:83:50
        status: active

Copy from box with vr adaptor to box with fxp adapter

$ scp host2:`pwd`/file .
file                                     100%  861MB   9.8MB/s   01:28
[postgres:/data0/dump]$ ls
file
$ scp file host2:/tmp
file                                     100%  861MB   9.7MB/s   01:29

Copy from box with fxp adapter to box with vr adapter

$ scp file host1:`pwd`
file                                     100%  861MB   8.3MB/s   01:44

--------------030507060602060905080302--