Date:      Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:56:29 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu (David E. Cross)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Card to use.

It's better to ask questions like this on -hardware rather than -hackers.

David E. Cross stands accused of saying:
> I am looking to pick up a SCSI 3 Ultrawide card.  I was looking at the
> Adaptec 2940 Ultrawide.  Is there a better card to get, or one that has
> better support within the FreeBSD comunity?

The Adaptec is about as good as they get, and the support is generally
very good (although the driver does go through patches of instability
when Adaptec make changes to their range or programming data).

An alternative to be considered seriously is any card based on the NCR
875 chip; see http://www.tekram.com for one such device.  These cards
are _very_ well supported by FreeBSD, and the driver has been stable
for a long time now.