Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 2020 17:00:22 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com>
To:        Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
Subject:   Re: URGENT: Microsoft overwrites boot loader!

On 7/16/20 2:28 PM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

>> On Jul 16, 2020, at 3:28 PM, Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info> wrote:
>>
>> czw., 16 lip 2020, 22:20 użytkownik Don Wilde napisał:
>>
>>> That's the last time I will allow this, and I'm calling those [deleted]s
>>> tomorrow to give them a piece of my mind. After that I will erase every
>>> vestige of that obscene OS from my disk.
>>>
>> I did that long time ago :-) I have one dedicated laptop if I am really
>> forced to use M$ crap but by all means necessary I avoid it for more than
>> 15 years :-)
>>
> Microsoft does not admit that other systems exist. So, if I have to have multi boot system, usually laptop, as many sysadmins do, I install MS Widows first (often it is even not installation, but bringing up to the drive “image” machine vendor gives for “reinstallation”). If for whatever reason MS windows is installed not the first, I just restore boot of another system (say by booting it from live DVD) after Windows installation. My current PC laptop is triple boot: UbuntuEbonite linux (my apologies it is not CentOS), FreeBSD, and, of course MS Windows ;-)
>
> Valeri
Actually, Doze WAS the first on that system, straight from Dell. I never
had this issue before, even with the 7 - 10 upgrade, despite adding
Ubuntu 18 to it many years ago. I was playing with GRUB Customizer the
other day to add another drive dedicated to FreeBSD, and that may have
installed my loader in the location MS trashed.

I no longer need any program on Windows. I have gotten everything, even
my payware model train programs with OpenGL, to work on Wine. It will be
erased from my last disk this weekend.

--
Don Wilde
* What is the Internet of Things but a system      *