Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:00:01 -0500
From:      Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Create empty package catalog (feature request)

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 11/24/14 14:15, Rick Miller wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 8:25 AM, Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
> wrote:

> permitting
> >>
> >> What's the use-case for that?
> >

> > In a nutshell...
> >
> > On the client-side, pkg(8) enforces uniqueness of packages within a
> single
> > repo introducing a scenario where multiple versions of the same package,
> > while the server can and does include these in the repo catalog, is
> > unsupported in a single repo.  Consider, however, that a project has
> > explicit dependancies on a previous version of a particular package.
> `pkg
> > install` consistently chooses the most recent version of a package where
> > the catalog has multiple occurrences of it.
> >
> > A system consisting of consistent, yet limited quantity of package repos
> > implementing an algorithm to select a repo where to distribute newly
> > published packages was deployed.  Target clients are pre-configured with
> > this repo set permitting them to specify a particular version of a
> > package.  While working around the above limitation, it causes an error
> on
> > the client when encountering an empty repo citing:
>
> Have you tested pkg-devel with this scenario?  There's a bug solved in
> 1.4.x to do with pkg(8) not applying any sort of preference ordering to
> repositories.

This has not been tested.  Thanks for the info.

> pkg: http://hostname.domain.com/repo_mirror/bsd-qa-local-repo8/meta.txz:
>
> Not Found
> > pkg: repository bsd-qa-local-repo8 has no meta file, using default
> settings
> >
> > It's much more involved than this, however, and in the interest of
> brevity,
> > I attempted to describe it concisely.
> >

> So what you'ld really like is to have multiple different versions of the
> same package in the same repo, and have pkg(8) able to select the
> appropriate version based on the explicit dependencies you state?

Essentially, yes.  A colleague recently communicated with Bapt about this
and we had considered working on it though it's unlikely we'll get to it
for another few months thus the original question regarding generation of
empty repo catalogs :)

--
Take care
Rick Miller