Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:49:48 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, Andre Albsmeier <andre@akademie3000.de>, Marc Tardif <intmktg@CAM.ORG>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partitioning (was: ccd with other filesystems)

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thursday,  5 October 2000 at  9:06:30 +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
[about Microsoft "partition" table]
> > It adds the following functionality:
> > - up to 2^32 partitions (normally limited to 30 in FreeBSD).
> > - inter-operability with other OS's.
>
> OK, I rephrase that: it adds functionality that is seldom needed.
> Nearly all my boxes only run a single operating system, and there's no
> need for this additional bloat.

I'll rephrase that again: it adds functionality that is seldom needed by
you :-).  Nearly all my boxes run between 2 and 4 operating systems, not
counting old versions on old disks/partitions/removable-media/vmware-
virtual-disks, although the active ones normally only run FreeBSD-current.

Bcue